Unity is a game engine for making awesome 3D games for multiplatforms, such as iPhone, Android, PC, Mac, Wii, XBox 360, PS3 and web (did I just mention most of the common platforms, I think I did).
Yup, you can build Unity games that run on the web. There have been a couple of Facebook games out there that are made using Unity, the first I can think of is the one with the Paintballs (what’s the title again?) Recently, okay, maybe last week, February 16, a contest on Kongregate just ended, it’s the Kongregate Unity Game Contest, and now, Unity games are also supported on Kongregate. So if you’re an Unity game dev, you can just toss some Unity games stuff there.
Okay, time for some advertising, two very close friends of mine, also joined the contest, so, here’s me showing them some love by sharing it with you guys.
Oh, to look for Unity games on Kongregate, just look at the Tags section, there’s a Unity tag, just click on that and go through, the hundreds of games there. I’m still trying to look for their game through that list.
Oklay, found it!
Must Get Candy
The description of the game from the site by my friend, Chris (kcannon):
You have an insatiable craving for candy causing you to run through candyland. Run for glory! Run for points!
So far, they had 232 plays, and some comments are:
I love this game, so addicting.
I don’t know why I keep playing this.
Is rare to see as a bear exploits for colliding with something, but the game is addictive
So, yeah, I am plugging, it’s like Robot Unicorn, but cuter, since it have a bear, and candy, also since my friend, Len, crammed some art assets on my laptop with the Wacom Pen and Touch she gave me.
Okay, enough about Kongregate.
For game devs who are just starting out with Unity or plans to switch to Unity, there are a couple of Unity books out there by Packt Publishing:
Unity 3D Game Development by Example Beginner’s Guide
It’s written by Ryan Henson Creighton.
According to the site:
Overview of Unity 3D Game Development by Example Beginner’s Guide
- Build fun games using the free Unity 3D game engine even if you’ve never coded before
- Learn how to “skin” projects to make totally different games from the same file – more games, less effort!
- Deploy your games to the Internet so that your friends and family can play them
- Packed with ideas, inspiration, and advice for your own game design and development
- Stay engaged with fresh, fun writing that keeps you awake as you learn
Unity Game Development Essentials
Written by Will Goldstone.
According to the site:
Overview of Unity Game Development Essentials
- Kick start game development, and build ready-to-play 3D games with ease
- Understand key concepts in game design including scripting, physics, instantiation, particle effects, and more
- Test & optimize your game to perfection with essential tips-and-tricks
- Written in clear, plain English, this book is packed with working examples and innovative ideas
So yeah, check those out!
End of Unity post here.